Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Where happiness hides

What are we all trying to do anyway? Where are we all going? What are we running after?

Well-being? Love? Happiness?

What if we just stopped for a while and found well-being, love and happiness inside. Or in contemplation of a body of water, a tree swaying in the wind, the eyes of our beloved? The source of all lasting happiness is hidden in these types of experiences. This is my daily bread. This is the nourishment of my soul. This is my prayer, my meditation. This is how I give glory to all that is. This is my religion.

I remember being very sad when my son was just a few months old. The words of a friend came to mind. "When you are experiencing a painful emotion focus on something uplifting for twenty one seconds. This exercise will raise you up."

So I did it. I looked at my baby boy who instantly smiled at me. The more I looked at him, the more he smiled and giggled. I ended up being infected by his joy. It didn't completely erase the pain but it came pretty close.

I find myself by a lake on a mild day, with nothing to do but enjoy the sensations of summer, observing the patterns in the water, allowing myself to be hypnotized by them. These are the patterns of life, they are the music that is written in my soul. They take me back to who I am, and I become drunk on the sensations of the moment.

Without the sustenance of these eternal moments I am only a part of what I can be. With them I am more relaxed, more patient, more focused, more loving. Isn't that what religion is all about, making us better, more whole?

No comments:

Post a Comment