Monday, October 4, 2010

Rise the Knowledge

Life can be harsh and cruel and a lot of it is actually legal and socially acceptable, like verbal abuse, isolation and greed. Some is illegal, yet the perpetrators are not brought to justice because of connections they have or power they hold.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are people who are taken care of to the point that their power is taken away. They are prisoners in a gilded cage.

Most of us in the developed world, fall somewhere in the middle. And this is a healthy place to be but we all dream of riches, being pampered, having all the material things we desire. We are distracted, seduced by the dream that we can have it all, while our fellow humans are maintained in the bondage of poverty, injustice and ignorance.

We, in the middle, are perhaps as free as a human can be at this point in time.

We are free to marry whom we choose. We can keep our children with us and raise them as we wish. We have the right to food, education, medicare, religious practice. We have access to employment in whatever field we choose. We have access to technology. We can vote. We have freedom of speech. We are relatively safe. War is a distant thing. Most humans in the world are not so fortunate.

And what are we doing with our freedom? What can we do with our freedom?

Firstly we can decide who we choose to be. Am I someone who takes responsibility only for myself? Or am I someone who considers the bigger picture? When, I look back, do I see destruction or do I see improvement?

Do I vote to have more money in my pocket? Or do I vote to improve the environment or to empower others?

Are my children going to be happier with a bigger inheritance or a better planet?

There is no political party that represents me. I believe in people. I believe that people are leading themselves off track by forgetting what's important at the moment.

We may be deceived now, we may suffer injustice, but it will not last.

"Tiocfaidh ar la"

"Our day will come"

No comments:

Post a Comment