Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thank God for technology

So the pioneers came to North America and we celebrate Thanksgiving. The pioneers were probably shitting it when they came to this vast untamed wilderness where the winters are insane.

Every summer when the weather is gloriously pleasant, my mother says"this is why we came to Canada. Every winter when the deep freeze is more pleasant than outside our door, I say, "remind me why we live here!" Nowadays, we have cars, central air, snow boots, thermal underwear and jackets that make us look like Michelin men. We also have planes and boats and trains who kindly bring us everything we need to eat from warmer climates. And still I complain.

For anyone who has never experienced this cold, let me tell you that it not only burns your skin but it penetrates your bones.

What were those pioneers thinking? One winter here, back in the day, I would have taken my chances on the next boat back to Europe.

There's only one thing I don't understand. Why didn't they celebrate thanksgiving in Spring?

They must have said, "Thanks be to God, we got through another winter!"


2 comments:

  1. My cousin spent a good portion of the summer in the North West Territories. Interesting place to spend a summer eh?

    People who live in cold climates are generally calmer, and the crime rate is greatly lower. In fact some natives stayed up north instead of moving south because of its safety and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I have a theory that Canadians are so peace-loving and tolerent because of the winters!

    ReplyDelete