Thursday, October 21, 2010

Do less. Play more.

I love being alone, doing my own thing. I like being in my own company. I have a great time with myself. If the world was made of Marys I'd never be bored.

But I'd probably never grow very much either.

What others help me to see sometimes are the parts of me that I don't like.

My four year old did this to me today.

I was very pleased with myself at the start of the day. Everything was in divine order according to the sacred laws of the Mary mind. Then at the last minute before walking out the door to take the kids to school, Aoife put the breaks on. I walked out to the car and started it, turned it around in the driveway and finally send my nine year old into the house to get the little brat.

About five minutes later he emerged saying he couldn't find her. I went in and searched for another five minutes. At this point we were already then minutes late. Finally, I stood very still in her bedroom and listened. I heard her breathing and followed the very faint sound. She was hiding behind her bed. Well, I was so angry with her, mostly because she had refused to answer me.

She was just playing a prank on me. But I was already stressed, so I didn't appreciate it.

I do tend to do too much for my kids. This situation is just my own behavior biting me in the ass! The antidote is to try to do less for the kids but play more with them.

Well, I'm going with that anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment